PROJECT AT A GLANCE
To implement and evaluate a mindfulness-informed, evidence-based social and emotional learning intervention within a trauma-informed framework to full-day kindergarten children as well as in a community-based organization which provides services to children who have experienced domestic violence and and/or child abuse and their families.
- Continue to build capacity and readiness for implementation of a mindfulness-informed, evidence-based social and emotional learning (SEL) intervention in full-day kindergarten (FDK) class-rooms in high needs schools.
- Implement trauma awareness training for educators and multi-disciplinary teams working in school settings consistent with a trauma-informed practice approach (already completed for year 1, but will occur in subsequent years).
- Pilot an evidence-based SEL intervention in FDK classrooms in high needs schools.
- Implement an evidence-based SEL program in FDK class-rooms and evaluate using a quasi-experimental design.
- Implement and evaluate a mindfulness-informed, evidence-based program with children exposed to domestic violence and/or child abuse.
PROJECT ACTIVITY HIGHLIGHTS:
- Build consensus with multidisciplinary teams in school settings, including teachers, teaching assistants, early childhood educators, social workers, behaviour specialists and other professionals.
- Develop parent engagement strategy and communication materials
- Revise trauma awareness training from evidence-informed practices that fits with London District Catholic School Board (LDCSB) mental health strategic plan based on feedback and lessons learned from pilot training.
- Pilot MindUP in 16 classrooms, 8 schools (Pilot phase), expanding to 40 Teachers and Early Childhood Educators in year 3
- Undertake adaptation of program for community setting
- Collect pre- and post-intervention data
Western Centre for School Mental Health, Merrymount Family Support and Crisis Centre, Mindup, London District Catholic School Board.